boston blizzard part I

Thursday was madness. The news networks were projecting white out conditions and a blizzard that would rival the blizzard of ’78. I checked the weather channel obsessively at work.  Could a snowstorm this big really be heading for Boston? The focus in the classroom was nonexistent. What was scientific management and how did it revolutionize how stuff is made? The question hung in the air as the sixteen students turned meteorologists whispered predictions to one another about the “inevitability” of a snow day tomorrow. In that moment, I did not want to be the adult in the room.  I wanted to come around the table and join in the speculations about the inches of snow and when schooled would be called.  Of course, I did not give in to these temptations and played it off as though a blizzard was no big deal. I reminded the students that while a snow day may occur, that we were currently in school now and they had a test next week. This even sounded ridiculous coming out of my mouth!  They knew, and I knew, that while we did work, we were all still thinking about the snow.

The end of the day came and it felt like the day before Christmas or perhaps the day before summer vacation. We said good-bye as though we were not going to see each other for a long time and headed as fast as we could home. I stopped on the way home for groceries.  Whole Foods was wild!  People were snatching everything they could off the shelves. I went in with a set list of snacks, comfort foods, and dinner ingredients we would need for a long weekend snowed in.  But, in the madness of the aisles, I felt my rational, list-centered mind go rogue as I too started knocking items into my basket as though the end of the world were approaching and this would be the last loaf of bread I would ever get my hands on. Avoiding accidents in the parking lot, I got David at the T stop and we raced home…for the next three days.

Friday morning the snow fell slowly and lightly to the ground. We shoveled once and mostly relaxed.  Reading, writing, a little bit of work, and a whole lot of snuggling with hot beverages occupied our day. We were delighted to be snowed in together. It was not until this morning when we woke that the full magnitude of the snow struck. Twenty four inches and counting lay on the ground. Part of us wanted to stay in all morning, let the snow fall and pile and pile up.  But, our little puppies needed to go out.  Gosh, I wish they were potty trained, haha!  So this is what the morning looked like for us….


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s